Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Committed


Just call me guinea pig.

Last week I signed up to participate in a two year weight loss study through U of M's Endocrinology and Diabetes Labs.

This week is a series of baseline tests. Today I found myself with Heidi and Christine in a Lab in Ann Arbor, Michigan, running on a treadmill, wearing a mouth apparatus that measured my expulsion of CO2 as they slowly increased the incline and intensity of my workout. They offered to take a picture. I declined, I almost regret that, but, really, no one wants to see a picture of me sweating and sucking on what looks like an Electrolux strapped to my head.

Just prior to this test I had been relaxing for an hour in a darkened room, all comfy and snuggled on my gurney in order that they get a resting metabolic level of whatever they're measuring, blood pressure, heart rate, CO2. Half of the hour I had on a plastic bubble helmet with more hoses capturing my every breath. I was told not to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment